Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Quarter - and Doll Eyes

Years ago when we were kids, I went to visit my cousin and she was upset. 
"Some guys gave me a quarter and said 'here's a quarter, go buy yourself a life..." 
I thought it over, then told her. "So why are you upset?  Those idiots gave you a free quarter!"


The moral - Take a step back and see who came away with more.



As for plush business, I experimented with making my own eyes out of polymer clay.  I rolled them so that I could cut the rolls for identical eye slivers. 
It worked great in theory, but I hadn't worked out how they would attach.  I tried making some into buttons, which warped the shape slightly. 
Then the final test, sewing them onto a doll came.  In short, the poor thing looks like a deformed muppet.

I'm going to keep trying though, I also don't think these eyes are the safest for kids since a good tug right now could pull one off. 
Until I perfect the idea, these will strictly be used for art dolls until I get one to work the way I want them to.

I've also created molds for stuffed animal noses, and will be making my noses available at some point. 
I'm still working out some kinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment